Monday, January 3, 2011

Little things

I have said many times, if you have the energy, this age of 3 is so easy to please. On the flip side, if you are feeling tired one day, 3 year olds pounce like hungry jungle animals. I am constantly thinking that this age that I have such a love/hate relationship with will pass all too quickly. Every time a Salad ingredient brings me a book to read, I realize this time is short lived, soon they will be able to read on their own. When they ask me to carry them up to bed, even though A is almost as long as I am, I muster up all my energy, thinking, "Someday soon, they may not ask." Just last week, when I leaned down to tuck her into bed S said, "That's OK, Mommy. Look! I can pull up my own blanket!" My heart shattered into 3000 pieces.

Along the easy-to-please vein, playgroup decided to venture into the city in early December. We were a force to be reckoned with, taking over a train car, armed with puffy coats and sippie cups. We were also armed with Grammy and Poppy, ensuring we made it safely to our destination, Reading Terminal Market. When the doors opened, the smell of flowers and coffee and fish and fry oil hit us. Our eyes were greeted by giant wild shrimp and live lobsters. We listened to strangers play Christmas music on the piano. We put coins in Philbert the Pig's mouth. We ate fried chicken and macaroni & cheese from Delihah's. We pushed buttons on the holiday train display. We took a side trip to the American Institute of Architects. I know you are probably wondering, what kind of killjoys bring preschoolers there? But we heard there was a construction toys display and play area set up. We spent the next hour in a room full of blocks and tinker toys and various and sundry other building supplies. It was a blessing hidden in an unsuspecting looking building. We were the only people there and the bathrooms were immaculate. And to a mother of 3 year olds, those 2 things are of utmost importance. At dinner, I asked the Salad what part of the trip they liked best. M said the trains. He added "You too, Mommy" as an after thought. A said "That Lucy was my best friend today." S said "All of her boys and her girls."

“Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.” Robert Brault

No comments:

Post a Comment