Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Kids say the darndest . . . well, you know

This Christmas season has been a veritable feast of "almost right, but not quites." 

There will never come a time, that I will correct a little boy who sings "Skink! Skank! Skunk!" rather than the traditional "Stink! Stank! Stunk!" version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch."  Even when he is in high school.  Even if "skank" offends some hoochie mama.  'Cause it's just funny.

Though, M's favorite Christmas song is Lou Monte's "Dominick the Donkey." I know because we listened to it so many times. I have submitted a screenshot of our iTunes playlist as evidence.




The other morning, during a confusing discussion of why we celebrate Baby Jesus' birthday if he is dead, A wondered what "Gold, Frankenstein and Myrrh" were.  I explained it's a precious metal, a doctor who accidentally created a horrible monster and an aromatic oil.  What?  I answered the girl's question.  Didn't I?

S got it in her head that she wanted to recite the first 3 pages of "Twas the Night before Christmas" during our Christmas Eve reading.  She got quite a bit almost right, for example, "The stockings were hung by the chimney with care and I hope St. Nicholas is gonna come soon."  But when she carefully recited "The children were nestled all snug in their beds, while pigeons and sugar plums danced in their heads" I wondered if the hearing loss in her right ear is having a bigger affect than we all think.  Or maybe pigeons really dance through her dreams.  Who am I to say otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment