Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I scream you scream, we all scream for . . .

Last week was busy for us - swim lessons each day, play dates and lots of pool time.  So when the only thing on our Friday schedule was speech therapy for S, we had a low key morning, snacking and staying in jammies until 10:30, topped off with a fun preschool lesson about the 5 senses.
After S's session, we headed to Dairy Queen for our afternoon snack.  There has been much talk of ice cream intake this week among our friends and family, and it hasn't gone unnoticed by the Salad.  I'm not much of an ice cream fan, but as I zoomed down the frozen food aisle with the Salad on Sunday, this caught my eye.  The rich color, the creamy texture, the words "blood orange" and the clean packaging.  It called to me.  I did the right thing.  I bought it.  And it's been taunting them all week.  Thankfully, the less glamorous, but equally delicious soft serve from DQ satisfied their 4 year old taste buds.  I also used it as part of our 5 senses lesson.  You know, to help justify ice cream instead of blueberries for a healthy afternoon snack. 

After our treat, we headed over to Grammy and Poppy's house to check out the robin's nest we've been watching for the last 8 days.  4 beautiful eggs had hatched this morning and 4 tiny birdies poked their heads up at us.  I cannot begin to express our excitement.  Most of the excitement might be mine.  During a search in the yard for the broken blue eggs, we stumbled upon yet another nest, with 5 eggs this time!  Quints in the making.  What an incredible learning experience we are having. 
We stopped and got a new kick board for M.  His old one that S bought him last summer seems to have vanished into the black hole that is our garage.  I let them each get a new inner tube also, as their old ones are too small to lounge on.  We got back in the car and had this conversation:

S: "Mommy, thanks for all this great stuff today.  Our ice cream and the birds and the tubes."
Me: "You're welcome.  Let's be sure to thank daddy too."
S: "OK, was this great day Daddy's idea?"
Me: "No baby doll, but Daddy works hard so we can do this fun stuff."
S: "Oh.  Well, I'll thank him too.  Should we get him ice cream?"

Never fear, sweetheart, so long as I don't polish off the blood orange sorbet before he gets home, I'll share mine.   

1 comment:

  1. so was that sorbet yummy?? i'm gonna have to look for it! this post is a sweet one :)

    ReplyDelete