Monday, August 1, 2011

Old Friends

My very first job out of college was at an art gallery/auction house.  It was back in the time BI (before internet) and I responded to an ad in a local paper.  By the time I had driven home from Staples, where I faxed my resume from, I had gotten a call to come interview.  I went to interview shortly after, for a job that I truly wasn't qualified for, but wholeheartedly interested in.  By the time I had driven home from the interview, I had gotten a call that I had gotten the job.  I was at the gallery for 3 months, before I moved up to the corporate headquarters.  I loved that job.  I got to meet artists, order art, design art, meet amazing people.  I was 21 years old.  I stayed there for 5 years.  I became dear friends with Jeba, the CFO of the company.  I met R.  She met her husband there.  We went on double dates to dinner in the city.  Jeba and I had many funny times, Mary Kay demos, moving friends, going dancing with the warehouse guys who dressed better than we did.  Laughter came easily to us.

And then I left that job.  And then she left that job.  And then she got married.  And then I got married.  And then she had a baby.  And then I had a bunch of babies.  And then she moved away.  And then life got in the way and we lost touch.  And she isn't on Facebook.  And how do you keep in touch with people if they aren't on Facebook?!  I'll tell you, you stalk them, dig around online, find their house number and call them on a random December day, after you haven't spoken in 4 years.

And then you catch up over the phone.  And it's not always good.  Parents die.  But sometimes it's really good.  She had another baby girl.  And as always with great friend, it's like no time has passed.

And then 6 months passes, you catch up again via email this time.

And then 1 month after that, she invites you and your brood into their home.

And as always with great friends, it's like no time has passed. 

And laughter still comes easily to us.  Conversation comes lightly.

And best of all?  14 years after we met, our husbands and all 5 of our babies played beautifully together.

No comments:

Post a Comment