Saturday, November 5, 2011

Birds vs. Bees

As much as I like to think R and I are raising daughters who have had ample opportunity to play with "boy" toys and even more so gender neutral toys, somewhere around the age of 3, they found pink and princesses and all things "sugar and spice" and never looked back.  Though, my girls still like to get dirty and will hold any bug they happen upon, they would choose a skirt over pants any day of the week.  I think (and I am by no means an expert) that girls tend to be a bit more outgoing and social and so make friends more easily than boys.  I have heard a conversation that goes something like this more than 5 times in the last month alone.

A or S:  "Hi!  My name is (insert name here)!
New girl:  "Hi!"
A or S:  "Do you like ballerinas/unicorns/fairies?"
New girl: "Yes!"
A or S: "Do you want to be best friends?"
New girl: "OK!" and they run off holding hands

Boys on the other hand (at least my boy) don't seem to realize that you can ask another little person something to start a conversation.  M kinda sits near another boy at school, builds blocks near him and without making eye contact may add a new building to the other kid's city. 

But occasionally, I will catch a sweet moment between M and another boy  Like at Jazzy, Melyssa and Melodee's 5th birthday party.  I saw Peter and M, heads together, feeding the giant goldfish cookie crumbs (with Miss Danette's permission) and giggling over the color of fish poop.
"Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails" indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment