Saturday, July 2, 2011

Where I'm From

I am from Dove soap, from Jello and Andes candies.

I am from an old stone porch and green cedar shingles.

I am from robins' nests and pink and white peonies.

I am from new pajamas on Christmas Eve and nose freckles from the sun,

from Gardners and Burgharts, Vetters and Mansis.

I am from the determined and the easily amused.

From the "Always remember, I love you very much"es and the "Down in front"s.

I am from 1 God, 7 sacraments and 10 commandments.

I'm from Upper Darby. I'm from Ireland, Germany, Italy.

From meatballs on Sunday and ham smelling of cloves.

From a diamond ring that didn't sparkle enough,

a Grammy who's garden smelled of basil,

And a Grandmom who cheated playing Monopoly.

I am from Polaroids in albums and 4 x 6s framed on the piano,
from Disneyworld to the Grand Canyon, from Ocean City to Laguna Beach,
from birthdays, vacations, graduations and weddings.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, Jane, for the inspiration.
Here is the template, in case anyone wants to share where they are from.

No comments:

Post a Comment